Families live fast paced lives these days. It seems there aren’t enough hours in the day to do everything and so you may find yourself skipping breakfast more often than you’d prefer. The following are some breakfast-on-the-go ideas you may want to use to encourage your family to eat breakfast each day.
* Mix up a healthy trail mix of your family’s favorite ingredients. You can use a variety of nuts, raisins or other dried fruit, carob or chocolate chips, dried coconut and seeds such as pumpkin or sunflower. Place the mixture in individual serving bags and have them ready to grab and go when needed.
* Always keep fresh fruit around the house and near the door you exit each day. Bananas, apples and oranges are the usual types of fruits you may think of. However, if your family doesn’t like these fruits, you can always slice melons or other in-season fruits and have them available in the refrigerator.
* Create breakfast biscuits the night before or on one of the days you have extra time. You can purchase frozen biscuits for a couple of dollars at most stores. Scramble some eggs and place on the prepared biscuits. Add a slice of cheese and whatever your family’s favorite breakfast meat is. There you have it! A complete breakfast ready to eat on the run.
* Make breakfast burritos using flour tortilla shells. These can be made ahead of time and frozen or you can make them a day or two ahead of time and keep them refrigerated. Scrambled eggs with sausage is what one fast food restaurant makes so why can’t you follow their lead? Use items you know your family will enjoy. Add salsa to give it some extra zip. Take them out of the refrigerator, pop them in the microwave to warm them up and you’re good to go!
* Hard boiled eggs are a good alternative if you want something that is easy to take with you. Pre-cook and peel them so all you have to do is take one out of the fridge and head out the door.
* Pre-cook or prepare as many food items as you can. Celery sticks with peanut butter, single size servings of cottage cheese or yogurt, turkey bacon slices, sausage patties are all things which can be prepared and kept in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
There really is no reason anyone should skip breakfast. While it may be true that you don’t have time to fix a traditional meal, there are so many options to choose from to ensure your family has a good start to their day. Look at these options for breakfast-on-the-go and see which ones your family will enjoy.